Are you wanting to volunteer with Oregon Trail Elementary? We want you to volunteer too! However, we do need to cover a few housekeeping items to make sure the School District sees you as a true volunteer.
First, please print out the North Clackamas School District Volunteer Application Form, fill it out in full, sign it, then send the hard copy into the school office for processing. (If you put this in your child's backpack, their teacher will get it sent to the office)
Second, watch the North Clackamas School online volunteer training video.
Third, take note of the following Oregon Trail Elementary Specific items:
- When you arrive:
- Put your phone into Silent Mode - a ringing or buzzing phone is very distracting.
- Sign into the computer (or sign in on paper if the computer is unavailable)
- Wear your name badge at all times - this is for the protection of children
- When working at the school:
- Be sure to protect confidential information. Do not share or talk about student information, grades, or levels of accomplishments.
- If you're unsure of something - ask questions. There are many resources available to you at all times. Staff members, IA's, or PTO officers (generally in purple or teal shirts) are available resources.
- If you're going to be absent and won't be able to volunteer, please contact the main office at 503-353-5540.
- Don't walk through the library during school hours, please walk around in the main corridors.
- When walking in the hallways, please be quite and keep talking to a minimum to avoid classroom and/or student disruptions.
- To the best of your ability, please don't interrupt classes. If you need to speak with a teacher, please enter the classroom and wait patiently by the door until they acknowledge you.
- In an event of a fire drill, do not look for your child - they are safe with the staff. Please find the nearest exit.
- When working with students:
- Please contact a staff member if you feel a student needs disciplinary action. It is not the volunteer's responsibility to intervene, it is the responsibility of the staff.
- Be sure to always work in areas that are in the open with doors open. You should never be in a space one on one with a student with closed doors.
- Only use the staff restrooms which are located across from the 1st grade fort. You should NEVER enter the other restrooms. If you feel a student needs attention in the restroom, please contact a member of the staff.
- Keep personal possessions out of the student's reach, and if available, do not bring them into the school with you.
- All classrooms have first aid kits. If you are unsure of where it's located, please ask a staff member.
- When leaving the school:
- Please take off your name badge and file it away (alphabetically)
- Sign out of the computer (or sign out on paper if the computer is unavailable)
Fourth and finally, fill out the electronic form acknowledging that you have completed the online volunteer training.